Apple and Berry Cake
Apple and berry cake
A tasty way to cook those blackberries growing on the hedgerows in late summer. Children can make them too!
- Baking tin, 25cm x 15cm approx
- small bowl
- large mixing bowl
- 175 grams Self-raising flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 – 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 150 grams Butter/margarine/spread
- 150 grams Sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- 150 grams Greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 Apple, cored and chopped
- 50 grams Oats
- 200 grams Berries – your choice
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
- Grease and line a shallow 25 x 15cm baking tin.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into the small bowl and set aside.
- Beat the butter/margarine and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of flour, and add the eggs one at a time. Stir the mixture until combined.
- Gradually add the flour mixture, yoghurt and vanilla.
- Stir in the apples, oats and berries.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 45 – 50 minutes until firm.
- Cool in the tin before turning out and cutting.
You could use blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries, or even strawberries if they are cut into smaller pieces. You could use some of each.