If you or someone you know has lots of apples in early autumn this is a great way of baking a tasty treat. A good recipe for children – but watch those fingers when grating or chopping!
- large bowl
- Measuring jug
- Baking tray
- 200 grams self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 50 grams sugar
- 50 grams butter or plant based spread
- 100 mls milk
- 1 medium unpeeled apple, grated or finely chopped
- Put the flour and baking powder into a bowl.
- Rub the butter or spread into the flour.
- Chop or grate the apple.
- Stir in the sugar and apple.
- Mix to a soft dough with the milk. If it is too wet, add some flour.
- Shape into a round of about 10cm and 1cm thick.
- Place onto a baking tray and bake at 200C/180C fan/gas mark 6 for 20 -25 minutes until golden brown on the top.