Gingerbread men are usually made but you can choose other cutter shapes for these biscuits. Ideal for children to make and have fun decorating!
- Baking trays
- Cooling rack
- 350 grams plain flour
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 100 grams butter or plant based spread
- 175 grams soft brown sugar
- 1 egg (or flaxseed and water as egg substitute)
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup
- For vegan option, mix the flaxseed with water and set aside.
- Pour the flour into a bowl. Stir in the ginger and bicarbonate of soda.
- Add the butter/plant based spread and rub into the flour mixture.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Beat the egg and syrup together and add to the mixture or add flaxseed mixture.
- Knead everything together to make a stiff dough.
- Roll out to 0.5cm thick and cut out shapes with the biscuit cutter.
- Place the biscuits onto greased baking trays spaced apart as they will spread when cooking.
- Decorate with currants.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown at 190C/fan oven 170C/gas mark 5.
- Leave on the tray for 3 minutes before moving gently to a cooling tray.
- When cool they can be iced.