A cheap, easy soup for the colder autumn and winter days
- Large saucepan
- Sharp knife
- Measuring jug
- 500 grams onions
- 30 grams butter/spread/oil
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp flour rounded
- 1 litre beef stock or try vegetable stock and marmite for plant based option
- 50 grams grated cheddar or gruyere cheese
- Peel the onions and slice into fine rings.
- Heat the butter/spread/oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook slowly over low heat for about 20 minutes until very tender.
- Add the sugar and the flour, stir for another 1-2 minutes until the mixture starts turning golden.
- Stir in the stock and simmer, covered, over low heat for 1 hour.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle on the grated cheese and serve.